Home       About       Etsy Shop       Linking Up       Grab My Button       Contact Me

Friday, October 5, 2012

Little yarn pumpkins

Did you get sucked in to craft wars like I did?  One of my favorite people on the show was Stephen Brown, owner of Glitterville http://www.glitterville.com/  He has just come out with a new book called Handmade Halloween and it is just amazing.  I adapted one of his projects from the book for today's project.   Stephen made his pumpkins with chenille pipe cleaners, but I used styrofoam balls covered in yarn.

I just bought a bag of styrofoam balls at Michael's and wrapped them in inexpensive orange yarn.  Next I sewed  4 pieces of crepe paper together using a large stitch.  I hand gathered them and pulled the layers apart... fluffing them up into ruffles.  Stephen brown calls this "festooning".  I call it adorable.

I formed the crepe paper into a circle and glued the ball on top, adding a brown pipe cleaner for a stem, googly eyes, and a felt nose and mouth.

I made a whole bunch for my book club friends... fun!!  I will be sharing this idea and more tomorrow morning on fox 9 at 8:15.  If you live in the Minneapolis area, I hope you will tune in!


  1. Here here! Googly eyes to the rescue!

  2. I love the pumpkins. I finally finshed my letters I told you about. Head on over to my blog...it is the second post and you can see how they turned out. Thanks for all of your great ideas. Love them.