Home       About       Etsy Shop       Linking Up       Grab My Button       Contact Me

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sock Monkey Hat


You know I have a thing for sock monkeys.  There are lots of different patterns for sock monkey hats on ravelry.  I decided to write my own... I know I'm biased, but I think it is darn cute!


I worked on these on the way to Arizona and on the way home.  Knitting the hat takes about the same amount of time as finishing them.  It is very fun to make... kind of addictive!


I ised cascade 220 scraps to knit these... and a size 6 needle.
Here is the pattern...
Cast on 84
Knit 2 purl 2 rib for 5 rows.
I used a rag wool as a nod to the original sock monkey.
Use your first color for stripes.
The stripes are each 5 rows.  You will knit 5 rows of stripes (25 rows) before you start decreasing.
Decrease rows
Knit 8, k2 tog
knit
knit 7, k2 tog
knit
knit 6, k2 tog
Change colors, knit
knit 5, k2 tog
knit
knit 4, k2tog
knit
Change colors  knit 3, k2 tog
knit
knit 2, k2 tog
knit
k 1, k2tog
k2 tog, run a needle through the remaining stitches
Pick up 10 stitches on each side of the hat.  Knit 4 rows of garter stitch.
Knit 1, k2 tog, knit 6, ssk, knit 1
Knit 1, k2 tog, knit 4, ssk, knit 1
Knit 1, k2 tog, knit 2, ssk, knit 1
Cast off.
For the earflap, pick up 10 stitches on each side of the hat.
Garter stitch 4 rows
Decrease as you did for the ears until you have 4 stitches left.  Use the remaining 4 stitches for i cord.  Knit 4 inches of i cord.
Make 3 pompoms.  Attach them to the top of the hat, and the 2 icords.
You are almost done.  Add a mouth with red and white felt using a running stitch.  (refer to the picture)
Add 2 black stitches for the nose and 2 buttons for eyes.  Enjoy!





I'm going to post this pattern on Ravelry too.  Make sure you add your pictures of your finished hats!

24 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so in love! This would totally fit my little ones personality. I wish you would start selling your knits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What needle size did you use? 8? What is your Rav user name so I can find the pattern and add it to my endless queue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it said size 6 but im using 9 with less co stiches

      Delete
  4. I love it!! What type and brand yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing...I have shared your tutorial on Freebies for Crafters.
    Hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE Them. Your models are just so darn cute.
    I have not knitted for years but I am definately going to have a go at making these for the grandies.
    What size needle and yarn. I am an Aussie so would that be different?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are darling. What size needle did you use to make them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank-you so much everyone for your comments... can someone tell me which facebook page is featuring this pattern?! I'm getting a ton of hits and i want to thank them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it on Knitting Corner's facebook page :o) thanks for the pattern! Now I just need to learn how to change colors!

      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Knitting-Corner/508278309230569

      Delete
  9. Jenni - I found this on freebiesforcrafters.blogspot.com - which I check daily! It's absolutely adorable. I bet even my 27 year old daughter would wear this! (if I could figure out how to resize it for an adult...)
    - sunshdws at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! Thanks for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    onm'a saupoudré, alors à mon tour... ●. ° ° ☆ ☾ ¸. ●. ★ ★ ° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸ ★:. . • ○ ★ °. *. . ¸. ° °. * ● ¸. ° ☾ ° °. ● ¸. ★ °:. . • °. *:. . ¸. ● ¸ ★ ★ ☾ ° ★. . ° ☆. ● ¸. ★ °. • ○ ★ ...°. *. ☾ ° °. * ● ¸ ° ☾ ° ☆. * ¸. ★ je te saupoudre de Paix, d'Amour, et Bonheur pour 2012 Maintenant, vas de l'avant et saupoudres d'autres personnes aussi ! ★ °☾ ° ☆. * ● ¸. ★ °:. . • ○ ★ °. *. . °. ●. ° ° ☆ ☾ ¸. ●. ★ ★ ° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸ ★:. . • ○ ★ °. *. . ¸. ° °. * ● ¸. ° ☾ ° °. ● ¸. ★ °:. . • °. *:. . ¸. ● ¸ ★ ★ ☾ °..
    Gros bisous
    »

    ReplyDelete
  12. i LOVE these little hats. i was wondering if you had a pattern to crochet it instead of knit. if you do, or anyone else on here happens to know of a crochet pattern for this, please message me on facebook :)
    www.facebook.com/tori.ash

    ReplyDelete
  13. There were no directions for the ears on the monkey, just earflaps to be made as the ears. Did you forget to include the ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ears are the same pattern as the ear flaps, just sewed on the sides!

      Delete
  14. So gorgeous, my daughter will love this One Christmas present thought of Thank you Thank you Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is this knit in the round or flat? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jenni, for sharing this pattern, very, very cut. I was also wondering if this was knit flat or in the round, not clear from the instructions.

    Anonymous, the ears are in the instructions, when you pick up the first set of stitches (10 stitches) that is for the ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did round and it turned out great! Super cute pattern:)

      Delete
  17. I saw it in Go Girl Knitting's facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are the needle uk or u s size needles

    ReplyDelete